Marloth Park Animal Mortalities June - September 2014
June Mortalities:6 impala, 2 duiker, 1 lion, 1 baboon: total 10. (7 snares, 1 animal with snare), No road deaths
July Mortalities: 3 impala, 2 duiker, 3 bushbuck, 1 warthog, 1 wildebeest: total 10. Road Kills: Impala 2, bushbuck 1, genet 1: total 4 (2 snares)
Aug Mortalities: 1 duiker, 2 bushbuck, 2 warthog, 1 kudu, 1 wildebeest, 1 zebra: total 8. Road kills: Impala 1.
Sept: Mortalities: 1 bushbuck, 1 warthog, 1 wildebeest: total 3. Road Kills: Warthog 1, Mongoose 1: total 2. 1 snare, 1 animal with snare around its neck.
Animal Management and the 2014 Game Count
The 2014 ground Game Count figures for Marloth Park are available here
Some Honorary Rangers Activities in the past month
1. There are 8 Honorary Rangers trained in First Aid by Terence Minter .
2. The new sign at the Kranz saying ‘No open fires please’ is now up.
3. A property owner cleared the bush for an illegal road from Pofadder St to Olifants. This has now been closed off.
4. We are working on the final touches and the French drain of the Frikkies Dam toilet.
5. The new circular road from Jackal berry dam in Lionspruit is now complete.
6. The building of the new bird hide at Jackal berry dam will start at the beginning of November.
Bird walks hosted by Honorary Rangers are held at 06h00 on the first Saturday of the month in varying locations. THE NEXT HONORARY RANGERS BIRD WALK WILL BE ON THE FIRST SATURDAY IN DECEMBER. THE MARLOTHII CONSERVANCY WILL HOST ON THE FIRST SATURDAY IN NOVEMBER AT HENK VAN ROOYEN PARK AT 6:00AM.
Commencing on 21st October 2014, bird/nature walks hosted by the Marlothii Conservancy will take place on the third Saturday of every month at Henk van Rooyen Park at 06h00 until 31st March 2015 thereafter the starting time will be changed to 08h00 for the winter months.
A comprehensive list of the 339 birds recorded in Marloth Park is published by the the Honorary Rangers (in English and Afrikaans) and is available from the Secretary. This list is also available on-line here together with sightings lists and reports for each Saturday Bird Walk.
Bush Walks and Talks take place on a monthly basis usually starting at 08:00 and lasting about 2 hours.
Our Lions: click here for the latest news
Our vision is to support and assist the Nkomazi Municipality Conservation Department within Marloth Park with their management strategies and objectives while being an effective volunteer group.
Read our complete Vision Statement here and a brief history of Honorary Rangers here